Sunday, March 30, 2008

What is Dennis like?

As promised, here is more about Dennis. Meredith, another adoptive mom, was at Dennis' same orphanage adopting her two children just last month and so I have had the privilege of hearing all about Dennis.

Here is what Meredith had to say.

"As some of you know, I had the privilege of meeting other children with special needs while I was in Ukraine. A few of these children were in Emma's and Micah's area and some were in other parts of the orphanage. One little boy that Mike and I always were glad to see up and around was little Denis. He is a very sweet little boy that is 18 months old and is learning to walk. He would go down the halls of the little infirmary area with just the fingers of a nurse as he learned to walk. He would cry his soft longing cry as Emma was changed into clothes to come visit with us (they were roommates). He is a typical kid, a sweet little boy. A baby, really."

When I read this, I welled up with tears at the thought of this perfectly healthy little boy sitting in a hospital just because he has some scarring on his face. He is not sick. He is not delayed. He is not contagious. He has so much potential....I'm sure almost all of these children have lots of potential. Why can't he be with the other normal children?

Meredith shares more.

"I will give you lots of details about the caretakers/orphanage/city in the next few days, but I wanted to tell you now that yes, the caretakers took good care of him and did not seem to stray away because of his face. They did, on the other hand, tend to keep him away from us. They were afraid he would be scary. I saw him on several occasions during my month there but usually in passing. They were holding his hands walking him down the short hallway once. Other times he was sitting up on a changing table and they were feeding him. And then the time I saw him when I went to take his photo. He stood up in his crib when we all came in and was interested in what was happening.

He cries... oh my he cries... Poor little guy. He would sit back there looking for someone to pay him attention and while we were waiting for our kids to be 'ready' for us we'd listen to his soft almost moaning. We wondered, a few times, if it was Emma, but they'd bring her to us and it continued.

He's really a CUTE kid. Take that picture and cover up the eye that's been damaged. Look at that sweet face! I think he will do well with the love and attention of a family. He's surpassed all odds in just being alive and the fact that he's trying to live when he spends all his days in a crib is amazing. Other children at the same orphanage just a few months older that have been out playing and crawling, etc. are just learning to walk (I've seen two in the playroom that were being adopted at 20 and 22 months and still unsteady)."

You don't have to sell him to me! We'll take him!

She continues,

"I don't know if he crawls but he can pull to standing in the crib and he walked with very little assistance about once a day through the hallway in the infirmary area :) His cry is longing. Not really loud, but just looking for someone to come. Sometimes almost a moan, if that makes sense. What's interesting is that NONE of the other kids in that area really cried (other than my Micah I'm guessing since he sure cries up a storm for me, but he always was being 'prepped' (put in clean clothes and a disposable diaper) when I was there so he always had someones attention).

Denis seems to still have a hope that his cries will be answered and I do think that the orphanage staff (they are nurses in that area) answer his cries. It's a very low staff to child ratio and I think, for lack of a better way to put it, that they feel sorry for him because there is nothing "wrong" with him- as they see with the other kids. He just has an injury. The other two kids in his room are completely non-responsive (and Emma-Daria was in there too). He really is a sweetheart! I can't wait to see him flourish in your family!!"

Neither can I. Thank you Meredith, for sharing about Dennis. It fills my heart with hope.

18 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

Oh, I bet that made you want to pack up and get on the next plane!!!

Dave said...

Oh, Christine, I hope and pray God brings you to Dennis soon!
G

6blessings said...

Oh my, Christine, he's absolutely precious! My eyes didn't stay dry while catching up on all of your wonderful news. I hope and will be praying that you get to him soon. What a precious addition to your beautiful family!

Troy and Rachel said...

I'll be praying you catch that plane as soon as possible!!

Debora Hoffmann said...

Wow! What a sweetheart. He is just longing for you and John to come make him your own. I'm glad Meredith was able to tell you about him.

Anonymous said...

This just breaks my heart, I am so glad soon he will be in such a loving wonderful home and will no longer need to cry for anyone.

I am also praying for your finances to come through. I believe God will do it and we will continue to give what we can. If I could I would pay the whole thing! That is how much I believe in what you are doing. What a blessed family you are! I just cannot wait to see Denis home!

Sig said...

OK, that got me in tears. When do you go?? Denis needs to come as soon as humanly possible. What a blessing.

Martha said...

I just keep thinking what an incredible little boy this is. I can't wait until the day you bring him home!

Melissa said...

he sounds like a remarkable little boy

Milk Mama said...

I am so blessed by your story! God bless your trip to becoming Dennis' mom and dad!!! He is a beautiful little boy with beautiful blue eyes as I saw a photo of him on the Cornish family's blog. God bless you all!

crispy said...

How special to have the insiders info on this precious child. I know God will bless you both with this wonderful child.

Connie said...

Oh! He needs hugs!! And lots of them!!! I cannot wait for you guys to get him and give them!! :-) Heading to Meredith's blog now to tell her Thank you for being such a sweetheart and telling you about your new son.

M'elle said...

This is wonderful - you all are a blessing by sharing your story(s) so openly. I hope one day I can have a family like yours!

Anonymous said...

Oh Christine. I was just reading this post last night as my little girl was crying for me in her bed. She was having a hard time sleeping. So, I went in to her and held her and rocked her and just prayed the whole time that little Dennis will soon feel his mommy's arms around him in the night when he's having trouble sleeping. We're praying for you!

Annie said...

What a wonderful person to tell you so much, and with such heart. I bet you are just longing to get your arms around this dear little guy.

Naomi said...

I read about Dennis on Meredith's blog and I'm so glad to hear that you're trying to adopt him. Seems like he's already captured your heart :-)

Ashley said...

Sweet Dennis! He is such a sweetheart and he is already just perfect for your family. How do I see a picture of him? You may have said it and I missed it somehow. I pray for an SDA appt soon, for finances, and that there is no internal brain damage. Again, I am sorry if I missed something. You know me, I have been in a different world since I went to UA, but did he have an accident or is this from birth? Sorry again if you have already gone over this. Thank you, Lord, for bringing this wonderful family for baby Dennis!

Is Eight Enough? said...

Beautiful post! I can't wait to hear you are bringing him home.

Justine