Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Meeting Dennis!

We drove all last night and had a two hour delay because most of the bridges to cross to another road were closed off and under construction. We literally had to find a way to drive on the opposite side of the road and go up an on-ramp against traffic. Thankfully, the road was mostly empty, but as we did this, we both thought, "Only in Ukraine." Other than this, the drive was absolutely beautiful, and the roads were better than Russia. I would share pictures of the drive, but I want to get to the best part of our day---- meeting Dennis!


Here we are in front of the DeitskyDom. We didn't even get a chance to change into nice clothes before going there. We could hardly stand to take this picture knowing that our son was inside the building behind those gates. As we walked onto the orphanage grounds, we immediately saw a handful of young children playing here and there. I instinctively looked for Dennis, but knew that most likely they were preparing him for our introduction.

First thing, we met with the director----- a very nice gentleman who gave us permission to see Dennis after answering a few of his questions. They were good questions like------- what did we do, how many kids do we have, do we know of Dennis's medical conditions. We answered honestly--- from our heart------- and I guess we passed "the test" because we were then invited to go meet our son.

As we walked down the dimlit halls that turned this way and that, I tried to prepare myself to meet Dennis. I was very emotional in a most wonderful way but I didn't want to be too emotional and appear like a basket case in front of everyone. Thankfully, when we got to the room where we were to meet him, he wasn't there just yet and I had a moment to compose myself...... or so I thought. A second later, they allowed Dennis to power himself out out in a cute little baby walker......... and I was overwhelmed with feelings of love and thankfulness that this moment had finally arrived. And you know what......... Dennis in all of his shyness and standoffishness the first few minutes of meeting him---- was absolutely perfect in our eyes. He was so tiny, so innocent, so amazing, and so so scared of us, that I couldn't thank God enough for allowing us to be there at that moment. The tears flowed from my eyes----- but they were tears of absolute joy that this little boy before me was my son to be, now and forever.

It was too emotional a moment to spoil it with getting out the camera and taking a picture though I wish I had now, but none the less these pictures were taken only minutes after meeting him. After a short time, I finally could stand it no longer, and I asked if I could pick Dennis up. He was not immediately responsive to me...... more like a doll in my arms, but his warm body in my arms was such an amazing feeling that I didn't care. I carried him to this playroom where John and I got to spend one on one time with Dennis.

It took a while to get Dennis to warm up to us, but we had all the time in the world. John started juggling some balls and when he dropped one, we got to hear a great attempt at laughing accompanied by a big beautfiul smile. It warmed our hearts and we wished that everyone back home could share this amazing moment with us. Guys, he is such a miracle! We are so blessed. Dennis will win your hearts the second you meet him if he hasn't already. (Can you tell that I am smitten?)



Dennis is like a feather--- very light and dainty. He is so precious that he feels like a piece of fragile China that you can't help but want to hold with the utmost care. The instinct to
protect and love him has already kicked in like God picked him out especially for us and gave me these feelings like one of his precious gifts to me. I know that some of you reading may think I sound crazy, but oh well, then call me crazy.

Dennis through all of his medical diagnoses is one very smart and determined little boy. I have a feeling that nothing is going to stop him from achieving his dreams. He loved looking at our family photo album and actually flipped the pages from front to back and then back to the front. He found that the last page had no picture so therfore, was easy to scrunch up. The crackle sound this made along with John's funny noises entertained Dennis for a very long time. He quickly learned that each time he scrunched up the page he could make his Papa make funny noises. Dennis is such a smart boy.

He started to respond to our touch very quickly, and loved when I breathed heavily on the back of his neck. He wondered who was behind him giving him all this love and attention and touch.

Here are his beautiful, little hands. For those wondering, he has a very sweet heavenly smell that only a baby could have. Yes, he will soon be two years old, but he is very much our little baby.

By the end of our second visit today, Dennis has really warmed up to us. He tracks our voice, has showed us that he cold crawl and walk with assistance, and even felt comfortable enough to crawl over to me and lay his head down in my lap seconds before we got up to leave.

While his medical info has some interesting things in addition to what is obvious to the eye that we did not expect---- like a cleft pallette------ we have already started all the paperwork to make him our son.

68 comments:

Rita Andrews said...

praise be to God!!! Christine, I am so happy for you all...as I sit here in tears, I am thanking our Lord for your precious family, and for the MANY blessings you will have by adding Dennis to your awesome family.

Rita

www.halfdozenscrambled.com said...

Praise Him from whom this blessing comes!!!! YEA God!
the Barbers

amyl4 said...

I have HAPPY tears right now! It is so great to see your little man in your arms!!
Amy

max said...

Crying happy tears:)I just don't have the words- just a wonderful feeling inside.Thanks so much for sharing your special day.
Maxine

Dolores said...

SOOO happy for you!!!
Your description of your first meeting with your son is beautiful, thank you! Bless you all,
Dolores

Doriana Gray said...

So wonderful to hear about your day, I have been checking all day to see!! I hope the next week goes smoothly and you are on your way home as soon as possible!!!

Renia in Munich

Kevin and Pam said...

Wonderful! God is so good!! I am so happy things are going the way you wanted. I will pray you get to return home with him very soon.

liesel said...

I'm so happy to see you all together at last. I am crying right along with everyone else!

Shelley said...

Happy tears are flowing here too! I'm so happy for your entire family and especially for Dennis!

Jill (& Bob) said...

I am so thrilled for you all to meet your newest precious child! Spaceeba Godispody!

Mandy said...

What a beautiful description of your day and great pictures - I love the one of his hands :)
Thank you for sharing!
Mandy

Bethany said...

Woo hoo! Congratulations! I want more more more! LOL

TylerandBrianne said...

Thank God......

Anonymous said...

hi mom and dad , i cant whate to see dennis . i like the picture .tell dennis that i love him . he loke good whit you uysin in the picture.i love you. mom and dad . we are doing good.

Anonymous said...

hi mom and dad , i cant whate to see dennis . i like the picture .tell dennis that i love him . he loke good whit you uysin in the picture.i love you. mom and dad . we are doing good.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a down right heavenly day! Thank you so much, for sharing your joy with us!

Anonymous said...

Im gettin all teary eyed already. He sounds like such a sweet boy who will fit in perfectly with our family. I cant wait to hold him and give him kisses. Until now I didnt know it was possible to love someone so much that I havent even met yet. Can you guys come home already??? I love and miss you guys and Im growing more anxious by the minute. Hugs!

Meredith said...

I'm THRILLED for you and for Denis too!!

Meredith

Salzwedel Family said...

What a precious thing to be able to "witness" from afar. I was a beautiful thing to see Dennis with you. Praise God!

Amy said...

Congratulations!

So glad that all is going well!

Unknown said...

Hi Christine! I was looking through one of the old Traffic Magazines, and found a link to your blog(s). I've been catching up and learning all about this trip & your entire family.

This entry is so beautiful. I can feel the love as I'm reading the words, viewing the photos & listening to the music. God is so full of love and he's sharing that love through you all!

Thanks so much for sharing your life with us.

Much love and peace to you!

**Monica, Steve, Ben & Joaquin

Anonymous said...

Dear mom and dad I hope you have a gerat time in ukraine. please tell Dennis that I love him so much.Mom and dad I miss you so much.Mom I am just wondeering if we can saiy bequite to adolts beacause annalyn said that to mrs. kappalety aiso annalyn puts here clths around the house. When we tell to pick it up clthse she gets rill made. love anna.

Rachel said...

I cried as I read this...such very special moments for all of you! Thanks so much for sharing all of this with us!

THE CAMPBELL FAMILY said...

AWESOME!!!! SO GLAD TO YOU WITH DENNIS. LOVE THE PICTURES. JODY

adopting2fromUkraine said...

You are not crazy at all! It brought back memories of when we first arrived at our daughter's orphanage.

Today must have been a very special time for all of you:)

June

Michelle said...

I am not sure what I am more grinning about...this post or the kids comments on it. :) I feel such an overwhelming sense of gratitude, Dennis FINALLY has unconditional love.

Kevin and Tammy said...

What a precious little boy. I know that you were in love before you got there, but I know now that you feel that fullness that only a mother and father can feel. I can hardly wait to have that feeling in the Ukraine.

Anonymous said...

Yes, God is good! What a blessing God has made you the parents of Dennis! I was teary reading your entry today. Amazing, simply amazing is all I have to say! It's like Dennis knew instantly you were his Mama and Papa.

DyaDya said...

Umm.... OK, I am also getting all teary eyed here... This is going to "damage my image" as a man. ;) Seriously, I am very happy for you guys! Thank you for sharing and congratulations!

Anna's comment was kind of funny, plus she used the letter "H" for the "N" in here name. She still thinks in Russian. ;)

Serge

Anonymous said...

Oh, Christine! I'm just thrilled for you! I do hope you're going to put this blog in book form. It would be a best seller! I've been praying all week for you and that the bonding would just start right away. I hope the rest of your trip is wonderful!

crispy said...

Praise GOD for all of His miracles. I am so happy for you all. Praying for you and waiting for updates.

Cris

Zack, Jenn and William said...

You are not at all crazy - you are HIS mommy! So happy for you and I pray that all goes smoothly as you begin the process to make him officially your son :)

Marlo said...

The day has finally come! His little hands are so perfect... he is so perfect! Oh sweet Dennis... We all can't wait to follow you on your journey home.

Mama Seoul said...

Congratulations! Such a long journey leading up to this moment and the start of a new one to come! very exciting.

debi9kids said...

Crying. I am just sitting here crying!
I m so very happy for your whole family!!!!
God bless you all!
Debi

Julie said...

OH YAY!!! I AM SO GALD THAT YOU ARE FINALLY TOGETHER!!!!!!

Liz said...

Beautiful post!! Thank you for sharing your joy of meeting your new son.

Liz

Anonymous said...

Christine - Though we have never met, I feel a connection with you from reading your blog and from just returning from Ukraine (where we will be returning to on July 5 to bring our son HOME! We asked Illona about your situation with Dennis while we were there and are so happy that you are FINALLY there with him. Praise God! Can you imagine the impact that your son is going to have on so many people, isn't God good! We will be praying for a quick court date and a safe return home, you might even beat us home haha. Looking forward to your next post. Blessings!
Deanna Camacho
http://bringingsashahome.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?mkt=en-US&partner=Live.Spaces

Laurel said...

Praise the Lord - the maker of all families!!! Wonderful post. Dennis looks so tiny compared to John in the picture! Well,you got your "little baby boy" you've been talking about for a couple years now! I can't wait to hear about your kids' reactions to these awesome photos and story of meeting their new brother. We are so happy for you. Can't wait for you to bring him home! Our girls are so excited and want to know if he can come over and play with them! They love babies. I told them to be patient, as I'm sure that Dennis' brothers and sisters will want to play with him first. :-) Thanks for the beautiful descriptions of meeting him. I cry everytime I think about it. God is faithful - I remember your frustration and doubts, but once again God has pulled you through with grace and glory!
Praying for you and your family.
Laurel and John

Mom Elaine said...

Hi Kids, This is your Aunt Lisa and mom typing to you. Aunt Lisa is overwhelmed with emotion and feel so much love for this little boy that she hasn't even met yet. I want to hold him and kiss him and let him feel loved. Hurry...bring him home and yourself safely. God Bless. Love Aunt Lisa

And from your mom....You bring tears to my eyes and heart. I am so very happy and proud of what you are doing. Can't wait to get the three of you home. Looking forward to your return...so hurry back. Love, Mom

Shea said...

Oh this makes me so happy!

kitzkazventure said...

So wonderful! He will be such a blessing....His hands look like good piano hands...nice long fingers.....the next Beethovenn perhaps? Enjoy your bonding time!

redmaryjanes said...

Oh my word, my eyes are just watering up. I send you so much love. Please give little Dennis a hug from me. God be praised!

Martha said...

Awesome!

(I had to smile at Anna's comment. She's quite funny.)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post!
You have a way with words!
What a blessing!
Amy

Nancy said...

I am so happy to read your post. Blessings to you!

Kristen said...

Such a sweet and heartfelt post!!! I am so happy that you made it to the orphanage safe and sound. I can't wait to see pictures of Dennis' face as he responds to you both!

Dave said...

God is so gracious!!!
Gina

kim said...

Congratulations!!! What a blessing.

Chelley said...

I am so happy for you all...as I sit here in tears


Thanks so much for sharing your special day


Dennis!
is so blessed to be loved by your family!

ArtworkByRuth said...

I was looking forward to reading this post all day! What JOY! He is beautiful! Thanks for continuing to share your journey with us! God Bless!

orphans4me said...

What a very precious, very wonderful post. I add my congratulations to the many others.
Joy,RR

Suzette said...

Christine, Been following your blog for some time. What a wonderful day! Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Its amazing! So amazing. I am here at work and fighting these tears. What a sweet baby boy. Congratulations, family!

Connie said...

Dennis looks very natural with you already! Like he should be home with you already!!! (soon!) These are very beautiful and incredibly sweet pictures. What a day!!! I'm forwarding the link to Brad and can't wait to show the kids when they get home. Please give Dennis hugs from all of us.

Love you!

Rachel said...

What a wonderful post. Dennis is so precious! I am praying for you and your family!

Jane said...

Congratulations
Jane

Stefanie and Bill said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful first meeting! What a beautiful start to an incredible life time together!
Blessings!
Stefanie

Anonymous said...

Reading about your experience in Ukraine and with your new celebrity, Sir Dennis, has increased my faith.

Too cute and I can't wait to see a front view of his face.

Also can't stop chuckling at what your dd asked (are we allowed to say be quiet to an adult!). You are a good mother, indeed.

Thank you for this unique opportunity to be included in this blessing.
Melin

Anonymous said...

AHHH... I have tears streaming down my cheeks. How amazing! I am SO happy for you guys and so happy for Dennis. Boy is he going to be loved to pieces!

Svetlana said...

Pozdravljau!!!
I am so glad you finally got meet with him!!!
Sveta

Gudl said...

This post brought tears to my eyes.
Yes, praise God, that He called you to this.
Dennis looks so precious, even from behind, and from the side....
How exciting!

Brandi said...

62 comments? I'm WAY behind!!

Congrats. . he looks adorable! I can't believe you are actually there! Praise Jesus!

Brandi

Annie said...

What a gift for him. What a gift to us - sharing these beautiful feelings, so well. Well, I know, because my experiences of bonding with my children - both bio and adopted have been the same. I'm sitting here crying, because somehow he looks in these photos just like I think Sergei looked at that age. That is just his color and texture of hair. You are so blessed - all of you.

Now I look at some of the other responses - you could fill PITCHERS with the tears of mothers who are sharing your joy.

Annie said...

Rachel - you are going to be the most WONDERFUL big sister!

Annie said...

Christine - I think I LIKE hearing from Anna and Rachel on your blog! Gives a more "well-rounded" picture. :)

Ashley said...

WOW!! This is so wonderful and I am crying right along with everyone else!

Tami said...

Praise BE! YEA!!!! Isn't it amazing how God works. He uses adoption to bring complete strangers together to form a family. What a blessing. When you described that maternal instinct kicking it, it reminded me of the first day we met Maddie. While we were only able to be with her for 45 minutes, I knew. Shad knew. Amazing stuff.