Monday, June 30, 2008

Monday, June 30

I am feeling much better thank you. I ate some Activa yogurt in hopes that it would help and when all of you commented about it, I went out and got some more. I am definitely doing much better than yesterday's post.

We got to Dennis' orphanage at 9 am sharp and we only had to wait 10 minutes for them to get him ready.

Everyday he is becoming more and more curious. It is wonderful to see that the same things do not continually entertain him--- that he is interested in exploring his surroundings. Today Dennis showed us how strong he was by tossing around this full water bottle.

He wanted to play with this swing, but not for very long. During the morning visit, we took him
outside for a longer period of time. Dennis loves to watch the other kids play. Good thing because this afternoon, Kramatorsk got some rain.

Here is a picture of a woman doing laundry at the orphanage. With around 120 kids you would think that they would be doing laundry everyday, but they don't. It also appears that they only diaper the children that are being adopted because they ask the parents to buy diapers. In Dennis' room is a little girl probably not older than 3 months and everytime we come to get Dennis, I peak through the window to get a glimspe of her and she is lying in her crib naked from the waste down. It is pretty warm in the orphanage so don't worry about whether or not she is cold, but her tiny little cry is enough to make your heart ache. A couple of times that I have peaked in on her she was rooting because her arm had gotten free from her swaddle and it kept hitting her mouth. So cute, but oh so sad. But, I can blog about that on another day.

Here is the trash truck that I was telling you about. A man dressed way too nice for his job manuevers the levers to lift the trash can while a woman comes behind him and sweeps up all of the trash that is left behind. I hope that sometimes they take turns doing each others job.

This is a porch leading up to the inside of an apartment building that is under construction. I bet it will be this way for weeks if not months. This was how many of the bridges that we needed to cross to get to Kramatorsk from Kyiv looked. No detour, no notice, just drive until you realize that you are about to enter dangerous territory.


Today we went looking for shoes for Dennis at the big bazaar. Couldn't find any. :( I may just have to stuff the shoes I brought for him.

Lots of vendors were selling beautiful flowers. It smelled so good walking through this aisle.
One vendor was selling these paintings. I love the third one with all the bears playing.

On the way back to our apartment, I took some pictures. I don't know how these shops stay open. It is not like they were hustling with customers...... and today is a holiday.

Mannequins in Ukraine? No way! Hey doesn't that one on the left look a lot like my husband?

Trying to stay upbeat here......... got some disappointing news. The judge called our facilitator and told us that because he has so many criminal cases tomorrow he has moved our courtdate to Thursday. We just have to trust that God has a plan. Now if only those plans include getting our 10 days waived.

24 comments:

Laurel said...

Christine and John - Look for something special that will happen with Dennis over the next two days - something that you would have missed had you been in court! You are absolutely right...God does have a plan and God is in total control of all things including this adoption. I am so very sorry about the delay. That is so disappointing and frustrating. I LOVE all the scenery shots - makes us feel like we are there on your journey with you. May God continue to bless you and grant you peace and patience in the process.
Laurel

liesel said...

You're making me miss Ukraine! Looks weird without the snow and ice though. :)

Ashley said...

Yes, we are praying the 10 day wait is waved! That will be soooo awesome!!!!

Martha said...

Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers, and looking forward to what tomorrow may bring (even if it isn't a court date).

Connie said...

Sounds like our roads/sidewalks. I have driven under the raised buckets of bulldozers, past cranes in action, and oh yea - replacing (placing?) manhole covers is not always mandatory. Take care :-)

We will pray those 10 days are waived too! Lots of love to all of you, from all of us.

Troy and Rachel said...

I just caught up on your last 6 enries. While I love hearing all fabulous things I appreciated your other 10% post. The pictures of the graphitti in English is nuts! Glad your visits with Dennis are progressing and the fact that he did fall asleep in your arms is a dign of trust. I think that is wonderful. Hang in there for your court date. Hopefully they'll waive the 10 days and Thursday will be the day. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mom and Dad ,dad it was nice picture you did by the store.Mom i thinkthe the burrito look delicous. We are doing good mom we love you Mom, Dad,and Dinnes.

Salzwedel Family said...

My heart breaks for the precious ones waiting in the orphanages. Just think how Dennis will continue to blossom in your loving care! Praying for Thursday & that your 10 days will be waived. Bless you guys...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing so much, Christine! I look forward every day to your blog entries. No pressure! Heehee! I could hardly read what you wrote about that baby girl. Is there any way you could stuff her in your suitcase? We've got a place for her, crib's ready and everything. Needless to say, our adoption plans are heading in a different direction now. I'll tell you later! I'll be praying for your court hearing and that everything goes well!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, we know all to well the disappointment of the setbacks in Ukraine. We ended up going to court a full week later than we had expected. I know how hard it can be to stay upbeat while you are there. We will be praying for good things to come your way. We will be heading back to Ukraine on Sunday with all three of our girls this trip. Keep looking up and moving forward. God bless you!

Marlo said...

I thought that person standing on the stairs in the green shirt in the last picture was real. I was thinking to myself that she didn't look too happy that John was standing by her Mannequins!

The outside markets of the Ukraine are so neat to see and the story about the little one in her crib is sad. I hope she finds her home soon.

Michelle said...

Oh how hard it must be to look at that bay girl.

Anonymous said...

There is a store called Babe Market that sells shoes and clothes. it's on the street Antoshka is on. Instead of turning left to go back to the apartment keep going straight. It's on the right and easy to see. I got clothes and stuff for my kids there. Also try the open market on the weekend. There is a part where everything is in a building and it has little booths. It's to the far right. I know there is someone that sells shoes for kids there.

Robb and Erin Kerley

ArtworkByRuth said...

Perhaps you all could hang out at the court house at your previously scheduled time to see if they have room or at the end of the day? :) So sorry about the delay. Please feel free to let the judge know that this was a problem for you and that in order to help alleviate the burden on your other children and for the health of Dennis you respectfully request the 10 days waiting waived...I'm sure I'd make a lousy Ukrainian lawyer! LOL!

Kristen said...

Oh, I want to bring the baby girl home! I will pray for you, John, and Dennis as you wait patiently now for Thursday to arrive. May the Lord grant your prayer to waive the 10 days so you can bring Dennis HOME!!!

debi9kids said...

Oh wow! You are breaking my heart about that little baby. I just want to hop on a plane, come get her, stuff her in my purse and fly home.
Think anyone would notice????
I agree with laurel's wonderful thoughts...God has something in store for you these next two days. there is a purpose for everythin He does, just be watchful and things will all work out as He has planned.
:) debi

Chris said...

Glad you are feeling better! I can't wait to hear the good news after your court date!

Best wishes!

Chelley said...

John should be a fashion model! LOL!!

prayers that those 10 days are waived


I hope that you keep feeling better!

Irina said...

I read history of your travel, and my heart is filled with a silent ring of Christmas handbells. This surprising association of force and weakness. Force of parental love - and physical weakness of the child. Weakness of human heart - and force of the kid whose every day is filled by struggle for a life. It cannot be seen without tears. Let the God stores your family!

Steve Eimers said...

Oh! how disappointing to have your date waived!

Tuck that little baby girl in your back pocket and bring her home--I'll take her! :-) I think it's so sad when you have to leave the ones that move your heart like that behind. There were a few of them at Max's orphanage, too.

Melissa@LovedAlready

Anonymous said...

Hi~We're the Leighton family. We adopted sibling brothers from Antoshka in Dec 06. It's so much fun to follow your blog and see your pictures of the orphanage and apartment....we also stayed in this apt! They make us miss our precious time there. It seemed so long at the time and we just wanted to get home but then the "rush" life of home catches up with you after living the slower Ukraine life for a month. We may be able to help you find shoes for Dennis. Our youngest was 22 months but about 16 pounds and quite tiny so we had a difficult time also. We ended up finding some at the "mall" down the way from the orphanage. I can't remember north/south directions now but I'll try my best to get you there. When you leave the orphanage and come to the main road (that you would cross over to get to the apt), turn right at that road. Follow it quite a ways down, probably about a 10-15 minute walk if I remember right. (You'll also pass another small infant store on the way to your right if you want to check it out). Anyway, you'll come to a large shopping center with a grocery store on the bottom. Upstairs has a couple of children's clothing stores. We were not able to find actual shoes for Alex but we did find some hard-bottom, velcro slippers that did the trick. There is also a very nice restaurant in this mall on the top floor. There's a great mall by the hotel too if you want to check it out. If you have not tried out Cherantono's Pizza (sp?) and Davinci's restaurant you should do so; they were our favorite places and only cost about $12 US for three of us to eat. Please email us directly if you'd like more info. We'd LOVE to send some pictures to you to show the orphanage of our boys if you wouldn't mind. We have not yet been able to get them an update since leaving and would really like to find a way to do so. Maybe we could email you personally or something with a letter and pics to bring them. If you're unable to do so we completely understand also. We can relate to you wanting another American couple to come. We were soooo relieved when a Canadian couple came along and we could just sit and talk with them....in English!!! We'll pray that everything continues to move "smoothly" (as much as it can!) for you guys so you can bring Dennis home soon.
God bless~Crystal, Chris, Anthony & Alexander Leighton
cncleighton@yahoo.com

Annie said...

The Leighton family is so right. Though I know your other children miss you - God is giving you this "honeymoon" with Denis. It is precious time.

Leslie said...

Ha! Love that last picture! Keep your chin up. When we faced one set back after another, I was so thankful that God gave me a guy to laugh with.

Brandi said...

What fun pictures! oooh, that little girl's story makes my heart just ache.

Can't wait to hear more,
Brandi
PS I'm catching up on your blog, so you'll get lots of comments from me this morning!